In October 2012 the University of Canberra’s Faculty of Arts and Design hosted a public symposium on the topic of “Converging on an NBN Future: Content, Connectivity, and Control.” Featuring thirteen speakers from industry, government and academia, with input from an engaged audience, the symposium raised and discussed a variety of critical questions relating to the National Broadband Network (NBN) as it commences widespread operations in Australia. This paper provides an overview of symposium presentations, organised around common themes, and
concludes with a summary of recommendations that emerged from the insights of presenters and the audience.
While the symposium participants recognise the potential for change in the scope and scale of the NBN2 once the next federal parliamentary election has been concluded, discussion at the symposium focused on the current vision for the network, as a wholesale-only, open-access network providing fibre-optic cable connectivity to 93% of Australian premises, with the remaining 7% to be served by fixed wireless or satellite connectivity (Wong and Conroy 2010). At the time of the symposium the reference document guiding the development of the NBN was the
2012-2015 Corporate Plan (NBN Co Limited 2012). The government’s vision for realising the benefits of the National Broadband Network is set out in the 2011 National Digital Economy Strategy (Australian Government 2011).
Middleton, C., Park, S., & Allen, M. (2013). Converging on an NBN future: Content, connectivity, and control – a symposium overview. Telecommunications Journal of Australia, 63(1), 70-81.